Welcome to another Christmas Cook post. Today I’ll be making Chocolate, Fig & Ginger Panforte, (sounds so fancy) courtesy of a Woolworths catalogue (again)!
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 35 minutes
– 1 1/2 cups Plain flour
– 1/4 cup Cadbury Bournville Cocoa
– 2 tsp cinnamon, ground
– 1 cup blanched almonds, toasted
– 1 cup pistachio nuts
– 200g dried figs, stem discarded, roughly chopped
– 60g glace ginger, roughly chopped
– 1 cup honey
– 1 cup caster sugar
– 100g Cadbury Dark Melts
1. Sift together the flour, cocoa and cinnamon. Combine nuts, fruit and ginger in a large bowl.
2. Combine the honey and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil then simmer for three (3) minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir through the chocolate until melted then remove from heat. Pour into the bowl with the nuts and fruit and mix until well combined.
3. Press the mixture into a greased and lined 23cm round pan. Bake in a moderately slow overn 160 degree Celsius for 30 minutes. Cool in pan before turning out and slicing.
Here’s how it turned out:
Notes from the Christmas Cook:
Note #1: The mixture is extremely thick, so you need a strong wrist to mix it properly.
Note #2: While it tastes delicious, it is a very rich recipe and you don’t need to have a big slice.